The New Hope Story
New Hope Baptist Church was started under the direction and leadership of Rev. W.A. Washington, September 28, 1929. It was then known as Mt. Triumph Baptist Church. There was a vote to move the church site from E. Reno to N.E. 7th St., but some of the members wanted to stay on the old church site, which made it necessary to reorganize.
Rev. Washington preached until the church was organized on Friday night, August 28, 1931. Rev. M.L. Brown was the first pastor. The church was named by Mrs. Lillian House and Miss Cornelia Clayton.
Those who were in the organization were Deacons G.W. Jones and G.E. Willis, Sisters Octavia Clayton, Cornelia Clayton, Dora Clayton, Lillian House, Artie Mae Long, Mable Parker, Victoria Wilson, Bertha Horton, Clemmie Thompson, Ruth Robinson, Francis Marshall and Hazel Robinson. Brothers James Bailey, Charlie Lee Smith, Ivory Stewart, R.C. Cooper, and Rev. and Mrs. M.C. McGlory.
The membership grew to 65. Rev. Brown resigned in February 1932, having pastored about 6 months.
On February 29, 1932, Rev. W.M. Jordan was called. The call was extended to March 2, 1932, and he accepted the church on March 17, 1932. Under his pastorage the membership grew again, giving all the more reasons to study God's word in Oklahoma.
In April 1933, he witnessed the passing of his best friend and companion, Mrs. Amanda Jordan. He resigned on June 1, 1933, having pastored about 1 year and 2 months.
On November 7, 1933, Rev. J.D. Provo was called. He accepted the leadership of New Hope Baptist Church on November 5, 1933. The membership at that time was small. In November on the first Sunday of his pastorage, 19 members were added to the church. In our first revival, conducted by Rev. Bilbrew, again 22 members were added.
Rev. Provo immediately began to talk of improving the church property. On November 18, 1934, we remodeled our church building and the laying of the cornerstone. The amount of money raised that year was $2,893.21. In 1938, we built the annex. At this time the membership has grown to about 400 people.
In 1942, the Music Department was organized under the leadership of Sis. Minnie Vera Anderson, Minister of Music and Mr. Charles Barbee, Director. Under the leadership of Sis. Anderson through Rev. Provo, other church choirs were organized such as the Junior, Youth, Young Adult and Gospel Chorus. New Hope also began a radio program on Sunday Nights, which contributed to its growth. The New Hope Choir was the first black choir to broadcast on television in Oklahoma on WKY-TV Channel 4.
New Hope was also very active in the Baptist Convention. Sis. Christine Provo served as President of the East Zion District Association for 25 years. She also served as Vice President of the State Convention for several years.
In 1945, the first effort was started for the new building was led by Sis. Ora Norwood who raised $750.75. The funds continued to increase and on December 14, 1947, when the excavation of the new building began, the money had grown to $8,275.62.
The church had raised $29,372.16 its first two years. The cost of the building at the time of purchase was $41,868.31. The original pews were $25,000.00 and the organ was $21,000.00. The seats were furnished by Kerrs Dry Goods. The 17 original light fixtures were a gift from Rev. W.H. Marshall.
Between the years of 1940 and 1976, Pastor Provo organized missions in the neighborhoods to enhance the spreading of the gospel. In doing that three independent churches were established: Greater Bethel, Bethesda and Community Mission.
Many young ministers answered the call to the ministry over the course of the years. Among them are Rev. Floyd Dumas, Rev. Garfield Ellis, Rev. A. Bolton, Rev. Paul Harris, Rev. Eric A. Mayes, Jr., Rev. A.D. Provo, Rev. Nelson Brown, Rev. John Simpson, Rev. Charles Simpson, Rev. T.J. Robinson, Rev. Donald Clarke, Rev. E. Jennings Tyson, Rev. Anthony Sledge, Rev. Charles Jackson, Rev. John Jones, Rev. Jobie Hooper and Rev. Chris Homer.
In 1970, the sanctuary was remodeled and pulpit was reconstructed to allow for a prayer altar. In 1975, the church now known as The Provo Memorial Baptist Church was organized from the mission located on N.E. 8th St., with Rev. Keith Smith as pastor. Rev. Provo retired in 1979 and was pastor emeritus until his passing on January 29, 1984. Sister Provo had already passed away quietly on March 10, 1963, after many years of service and dedication to doing God's will.
Rev. Nelson Brown pastored New Hope from 1979 to 1989. During his tenure he was instrumental in taking the youth by chartered bus to the Progressive National Baptist Conventions that were hosted in several states. He was instrumental in strengthening the Baptist Church youth ministry in Oklahoma.
In April 1990, Rev. Jerry D. Lewis accepted the call to pastor New Hope and pastored from July 22, 1990 until October 15, 1992. During his leadership, the education department in the church was remodeled, morning worship revised and a monthly newsletter was started.
Rev. Donald E. Boone served as pastor of New Hope from August 1993 until 2002. While at New Hope, Youth Bible study was organized and the Young Adult Department was reorganized, the sanctuary was remodeled, the remodeling included new pews, lights and sound system. A new van was purchased.
In the midst of the transition and our church praying for the Lord's direction for leadership, Rev. Christopher M. Homer and Rev. Donald E. Clarke continued to carry out in the preaching and teaching of God's word. In December 2003, the prayers of the church were answered as Rev. E. Jennings Tyson accepted the call to pastor New Hope Baptist Church.
On Sunday, January 4, 2004, Pastor Tyson preached his first sermon as pastor of New Hope entitled "Concerning This House-1 Kings 6:12-13." Installation services were held on March 14, 2004.
The Lord has tremendously blessed our church spiritually, physically and financially during the past 10 years. Many have united and rededicated their lives to Christ
Pastor Tyson's spirit filled energy and vision is creating a synergy within New Hope that is regenerating the congregation through sheer human will and divine grace. He has led the New Hope congregation to impart new vigor and to restore the New Members Orientation Class, Men's Ministry, Women's Ministry, Children- Youth Ministries, Children's Church, Transformers of Hope (ages 19-25), Marriage & Singles Ministry, Nurses Guild, Hospitality-Greeters, Dream Team-Vision 20-20, Public Relations, Recovery and Sharing & Caring Ministries. His vision to reach the least, lost and left out has led to the origins of the New Hope School of Evangelism that currently includes six continuing courses.
Under Pastor Tyson's leadership, priority has been given to the 85 year old infrastructure through many improvements such as painting and redecorating the main hall, replacing the church sign, heating the baptistery, refurbishing the restroom facilities, Pastor's secretary's office, the hall of remembrance, purchasing of church hymnals, and Bibles and new front doors, a church website was implemented, a Whiz Kid's pantry was constructed, new air conditioners we purchased for the Secretary's office and the New Members Orientation classroom, the vestibule was repainted. Also, minor repairs have been done by the Men's Ministry throughout the building. Added to the church staff were the positions of Minister of Christian Education (CCE), Minister of Children and Youth and Pastor's Secretary. Dr. D.E. Clarke served as Minister of CCE July 2004 until October 2007. Rev. K.D. Moss served as Minister of Children and Youth from January 2006 until October 2006. Sis. Velma Newman presently serves as the Pastor's Secretary.
Pastor Tyson was blessed with one new son in the ministry, Rev. Ramon Williams. His first sermon was preached on Sunday, March 6, 2006, at the New Hope Baptist Church
New Hope has reconnected as an active church in the Progressive state, regional and national conventions. He is the former President of the Congress of Christian Education of the Progressive Oklahoma Baptist State Convention.
In September 2007, Pastor Tyson implemented the Whiz Kid's After School Tutorial Program in partnership with First United Methodist Church of Edmond, OK and Dunbar Elementary School. Through this partnership, ten 8-foot tables and a new window air/heating unit was purchased.
In October 2007, Bro. Robert Wilson and Bro. Joe Cornish were added to the New Hope Baptist Church Deacon's Ministry.
In February 2008, acquisition of adjacent church property (1225 NE 7th) which converted to church rental property for a family dwelling. The property was renovated by the men of the church. In November, 2009, acquisition of adjacent church property at 1228 NE 7th which was completely renovated before acquisition, will be used as church rental property for a single family dwelling.
In January 2010, Rev. Ramon Williams accepted the position to be Minister of Children & Youth. In April, 2010, acquisition of property was purchased at 1221 NE 7th. In April, 2010, purchase of new choir robes and changed name from Mass Choir to the Voices of Hope.
In October 2010, Bro. Fad Beasley was ordained as a Deacon at New Hope. Bro. Joe Clay was also added to the Deacon's Ministry.
In 2011, the Men's Ministry were responsible for refurbishing the restroom facilities in the basement of the church. A new commercial refrigerator was also purchased for the Kitchen Ministry.
In 2012, we joined the Tabitha Baptist Church along with First United Methodist Church of Edmond, OK and Edwards Elementary School in an after school program (Whiz Kids).
In February 2013, a new computer for the secretary's office was donated by Bro. Mackiel and Sis. Coletta Brewer. July 2013, a new air conditioner unit was purchased. On September 8, 2013 (2nd Sunday), the note on property at 1225 NE 7th was burned. October 27, 2013 (4th Sunday), Rev. David Howard was appointed Minister of Christian Education.
In November 2013, Pastor Tyson ordained Rev. Kevin Moss (his son in the ministry) into the Gospel Ministry and commissioned him to go forth giving pastoral leadership to the Antioch Fellowship Church with his blessing, support and covering of the New Hope Baptist Church.
In April 2014, new steps, sidewalk and railings were done. In August 2014, a Hammond organ was donated by Antioch Fellowship Church. On August 29, 2014 a 2007 Ford Van was purchased with a mileage of 21,000. On October 15, 2014, Bro. Willis Neal donated carpet for the church in the amount of $9, 055.42. August, 2015 the sanctuary and the back common area were refurbished and painted. On Sunday, December 27, 2015 the 1st live stream and taping of our 11:00 am morning worship live in the sanctuary and could be seen worldwide.
Pastor Tyson has a passion for doing the Lord's work. He loves to fellowship and to praise the Lord. His congregations have traveled with him to preach in places from a small country town in Hennepin, OK to a large edifice in South Bend, IN and everything in between.
As we celebrate this 89th landmark occasion our church stands on the philosophy that "It's not a me thing-It's a we thing" and if we stay FOCUSED we will go FORWARD and the Lord will bless us with great FUTURE.
Pastors Who Have Served:
Rev. M.L. Brown: 1931-1933
Rev. W.M. Jordan: 1933-1933
Rev. John Dove Provo: 1933-1979
Rev. Nelson Brown: 1979-1989
Dr. Jerry D. Lewis: 1990-1992
Rev. Donald Boone: 1993-2002
Rev. E. Jennings Tyson 2004-Present
"And how shall they preach, except they be sent As it is written how beautiful are the feet of them that preach the gospel of peace, and bring glad tidings of good things!"